Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » 40200-Field is protected against update
40200-Field is protected against update [message #150692] Fri, 09 December 2005 01:34 Go to next message
aditya_itc
Hi gurus,

I've got a data block created from a VIEW.
It displays 3 columns in a tabular format. The 1st 2 columns are display items and the 3rd one is a Combo Box.
On When-New-Block-Instance, I'm loading the block in Query mode using Execute_Query(No_Vaidate);
I'm also populating the combo list using a record-group programatically.
This finally displays all the records in the View into the screen with the 3rd column in form of a Combo.
But when I try to modify any combo item, I get a message "40200-Field is protected against update". I've checked the Insert Allowed, Update Allowed and Query Allowed properties of both, the Combo Item as well as the Data block, and all have been set to Yes.

Is it happening because the base table is a View ??
If yes, how do I deal with it ??
If No, what could be the problem ??

Need Help.

Thanks in advance,
Aditya
Re: 40200-Field is protected against update [message #150909 is a reply to message #150692] Sun, 11 December 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
First off, put the execute query in the When-New-Form-Instance trigger, not the When-New-Block-Instance trigger.

Concerning update through a view, look at the view USER_UPDATABLE_COLUMNS and it will tell you whether your view supports update, insert, or delete. Read the SQL reference manual concerning the rules pertaining to updatable views.

Search this site for USER_UPDATABLE_COLUMNS as we have had this discussion often.

David
Re: 40200-Field is protected against update [message #151059 is a reply to message #150909] Mon, 12 December 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scarlet.Zhu
djmartin wrote on Sun, 11 December 2005 23:25

First off, put the execute query in the When-New-Form-Instance trigger, not the When-New-Block-Instance trigger.

David

Why its When-New-Form-Instance not When-New-Block-Instance?
Re: 40200-Field is protected against update [message #151211 is a reply to message #151059] Tue, 13 December 2005 15:40 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
BECAUSE!

Because if you had more than one block, when you navigated between them the Execute_Query would fire everytime you came back to this block.

David

Previous Topic: how can i use calender??
Next Topic: Sequence is the best choice??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:59:09 CDT 2024