Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » focus on list item yields dots
focus on list item yields dots [message #146090] Tue, 08 November 2005 09:51 Go to next message
bdrufner
Forms 10g (9.0.4), RDBMS 9.2

I am new to Forms.

I have created an item (MEDIA TYPE) whose list type = list item. The values that I have populated the list item with are static therefore I used the "elements in list" property of the item object.

This works ok and the database gets populated with the value selected by the user without problem, however, when populating or updating this webform, when I move focus from the previous field to the MEDIA TYPE item, I get little dots along the top and bottom of the value display box along with the value. As soon as I move focus to the next item, the dots disappear.

While this does not impact my application in a material way, it is just too weird for me not to ask the question: Does anyone know what this is and how to turn it off?

Someone will ask and I would prefer to provide an answer other than "it is a feature". Laughing

Many thanks in advance.

Barry

Re: focus on list item yields dots [message #146142 is a reply to message #146090] Tue, 08 November 2005 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Would you make a small screen dump of the field in question please. To save space please make sure to change its 'density' to 8-bit before posting.

David
Re: focus on list item yields dots [message #146248 is a reply to message #146142] Wed, 09 November 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bdrufner
Thanks for responding to my question.

The only way that I could capture my "dots problem" in my list item was as a "print screen" cut and paste in WORD and add it as an attachment to this correspondence, so I apologise in advance if the attachment is too big.

When I change focus from the MEDIA TYPE list item field, either in the webform by moving to another field or by leaving the webform entirely, the first thing it does is lose the dots and revert back to the display as defined in my "elements in list" property. Therefore, I can not use my capture program (SNAGIT) to show the problem and then change the density to 8.

I can duplicate the exact error in another FRM. I setup a "quick and dirty" form against the EMP table and once the list item is defined, same problem.

Any help is appreciated.
Re: focus on list item yields dots [message #146253 is a reply to message #146248] Wed, 09 November 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
These 'dots' are to indicate that the field has focus!
How else would you know it has focus?

hth
Re: focus on list item yields dots [message #146256 is a reply to message #146090] Wed, 09 November 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bdrufner
Thanks for your feedback.

Our shop is new to FORMS and the talk around here based on the problem described was your response - it is a "focus" issue.

I am willing to live with it, just noticed that the "dots" were specific to "list items" only and not any other type of item on the webform where the user had "focus". Thought that fact was just a little strange.

Thanks again.

Barry
Re: focus on list item yields dots [message #146315 is a reply to message #146256] Wed, 09 November 2005 19:03 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Create a 'dummy' form with radio buttons and checkboxes. You will see that the 'focus' field will be surrounded by 'dots' when it is the 'current' item.

Also add a couple of buttons - one both keyboard and mouse navigable and the other not navigable. Have a look at the difference in their behaviour when they are pressed, or navigated to by keyboard and then activated by the 'enter' key.

David
Previous Topic: Triggers forums
Next Topic: form unable to call report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:00:26 CDT 2024